Amy Garland is the “Web Marketing Coordinator” at Saint Louis University. Not long ago she sent along a note to suggest adding this spot to the web editors list since so many of the responsibilities are related to web writing and content preparation.
I agreed. And I asked Amy to share details of her job description here for other people who are thinking of creating a similar position. She sent the description along and here it is.
Visit the Saint Louis University website at http://www.slu.edu/index.xml
And you’ll find the full list of 47 web editor positions at http://bobjohnsonconsulting.com/blog1/2006/08/post.html
WEB MARKETING COORDINATOR
Job Summary: Under general direction, initiates, assesses, writes, edits and organizes Web projects; develops proposals, timelines and site maps for projects; conducts usability studies and reports findings; maintains the writing and marketing standards of the University Web site.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
1. Initiates Web projects; gathers, edits, writes and organizes Web content; designs and develops Web pages for schools, departments and offices.
2. Assesses new and existing Web project requirements with clients; writes proposals and timelines, and develops site maps for projects.
3. Oversees Web projects to completion, ensuring they reach their intended conclusion.
4. Builds relationships with Web administrators throughout the University; provides assistances to Web administrators with site maintenance.
5. Conducts usability studies; prepares reports on study findings and proposed changes to the University Web site.
6. Maintains editorial writing quality and monitors Web site text and information for appropriate style; maintains marketing standards of the University Web site; adheres to standard guidelines for Web postings.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of Web applications and technology
- Advanced writing and editing skills
- Editing/proofreading skills
- Strong interpersonal/human relations skills
- Project coordination skills
- Customer service skills, with ability to provide site coordination solutions
- Ability to recognize trends in Web development
- Ability to think abstractly and conceptually