As financial constraints grow at colleges and universities everywhere, I expect more schools to focus on incremental benefits for their websites that don’t require the large expenditures the come with significant re-design efforts.
Right at the top of those increments should be a continuing focus on improving the style and presentation of copy on website pages. Without at least one position dedicated to that effort, progress isn’t going to be rapid.
Here’s a new description sent by Kimberly Slover, director of communications at Colby-Sawyer, to ad to the collection already available under this topic at the blog. Use them to craft something similar that fits best with your needs.
This position, which reports to the Director of Communications, will support the college’s efforts to communicate with key constituencies through compelling narrative writing and dynamic web and electronic communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Serve as editor and writer for the college’s online magazine, Colby-Sawyer Currents.
• Provide editorial support and direct assistance to a large network of campus Web editors.
• Work collaboratively with Enrollment and College Relations, Information Resources and external consultants to ensure that the college’s Web site conforms to usability, editorial and identity standards.
• Work collaboratively with the Director of Communications to establish web strategies and priorities for site development based on the college’s marketing goals.
• Collaborate with college offices and departments to create and enhance departmental web pages.
• Supervise, train, and serve as editor for a staff of student writers of varying skills levels.
• Share responsibility for researching, writing, and disseminating news releases and other communications.
• Contribute news and feature articles to the college’s magazine.
• Work with the Director of Communications to maintain cooperative relationships with local, regional and national media.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, liberal arts, journalism or related field with strong writing and editing skills .
• Significant experience as a writer and editor with strong feature and news writing skills and excellent editing and proofreading skills.
• Experience with web content management systems and PhotoShop preferred.
• Basic understanding of cgi scripts in web forms, ability to utilize templates to manage site-wide design.
• Experience in an academic, marketing, public relations or media environment.
• Demonstrable professional interpersonal and presentation skills for frequent contact with college constituencies and media.
• Strong planning and organizational skills. Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet publication deadlines.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of all proprietary and confidential information.
• Physical requirements do not extend beyond administrative office functions in a fast-paced environment.
• Will include extended periods of keyboarding at a computer monitor.
• Limited regional travel may be required to accomplish some assignments.