Top Ranked in U.K. for Website Accessibility: University of Derby
Universities everywhere are striving to meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. As you might expect, some have done better at this than others.
Today we highlight the University of Derby, a U.K. university ranked best in the country in 2019 by a Sitemorse review of all U.K. universities. (The review includes
5 areas of compliance…
Derby lists accessibility compliance based on these 5 capabilities:
- Zoom in up to 500% without the text spilling off the screen
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- ‘Skip to main content’ using tab on your keyboard
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader
- Navigate our online forms using just a keyboard
And this added “writing right for the web” point: “We have also made the website text easy to understand.” Bless them.
4 areas of non-compliance…
Perfection isn’t easy. The university notes it is not compliant in these areas:
- You can’t modify the line height or spacing of text
- Most older PDF documents aren’t fully accessible to screen reader software
- Some of our older videos don’t have captions
- Live video streams don’t have captions
To increase the accessibility level there’s a visible link to “Submit an accessibility support request” for people who identify an accessibility problem. A response is promised within 2 days.
The home page search box…
Last week’s Link of the Week featured 3 Canadian universities giving dominant home page space to a “search” box. It was an unexpected but pleasant surprise to find a similar home page feature at the University of Derby.
Follow the Link of the Week
To review how the University of Derby explains website accessibility criteria to the university community and to compare how things actually work with your own website start at the “Website Accessibility Statement.”
Recommend a future Link of the Week
Add your suggestion here as a comment or send direct to me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top Tasks Website Content Group on LinkedIn
Join 787+ people on the Top Tasks: Higher Education Website Content group on LinkedIn.