5 Questions Elon University Asks on “Student Conduct Form”
Recruiting more transfer students is a priority at some colleges and universities and less so at others. Some offer early/preliminary evaluations of prior credit, most do not. A very few tell visitors to the transfer admission page how many transfer students are already enrolled. Even fewer provide direct contacts to individual academic programs.
Elon University does one thing that I didn’t see at any other transfer admissions pages in visiting about 50 sites in search of this week’s Link of the Wee: a requirement that transfer students have an official at all previous colleges complete a “Student Conduct Form” as part of the admission process.
The “Dean of Student Life/Conduct/Student Services” or a similar person is asked to answer “yes” or “no” to 5 questions:
- Is the student in good social standing according to your institution’s guidelines of conduct?
- Is the applicant eligible to return to your institution?
- Has the applicant ever been found responsible for a disciplinary violation at your school, whether related to academic misconduct or behavioral misconduct, that resulted in the applicant’s probation, suspension, removal, dismissal, or expulsion from your institution?
- To your knowledge, has the applicant ever been convicted of a misdemeanor, felony, or other crime?
- Would you prefer to discuss the above named student by telephone?
If the answers to #2 or #3 is “yes,” the dean is asked to provide details. And the dean is advised on the form that “No action can be taken on the student’s application until this original form has been completed and returned.”
Other colleges and universities may do something similar at some point in reviewing transfer applications but none that I visited had a prominent display on the transfer application page.
Transfer students are also asked to provide SAT or ACT scores and a “final official high school transcript” as well as the usual transcripts for other colleges attended.
Follow the Link of the Week
Review Elon’s transfer admission requirements and the “Student Conduct Form” when you visit the Undergraduate Admissions Transfer Application page.
Recommend a future Link of the Week
Get in touch with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or, if we follow one another on Twitter, a DM on that site.
Top Tasks Website Content Group on LinkedIn
Join 800+ people on the Top Tasks: Higher Education Website Content group on LinkedIn.